The death of a native grassland snake at a zoo in Italy has left a group of tourists stunned and outraged.
Parma Zoo said the snake, a male called Grassland, died after being electrocuted on Saturday.
It’s unclear whether he was electrocution or electrocuting himself.
The snake’s death was first reported by the Italian news site La Stampa.
The zoo is a former school for children, but the snakes habitat was taken over by the Parma zoo.
The National Museum of Italy is planning to reconstruct the zoo and create a special exhibition.
A spokesman for the museum told the AP news agency that the zoo will keep the species under lock and key.